This is reposted from my old blog. I’ve imported the whole post, comments and all, into a single space here. I’ve listed it here under its original date.
Hit (or Miss) List, October ’09
Saturday, October 31, 2009
It was a slower-than-usual reading month for me in October, but I did get to read some fun things, at least. I did not, however, make much of a dent in my Fill in the Gaps list of 100 books to be read over the next 5 years. I hope to get more of that done in November.
Here’s what I’ve been reading and watching in October:
- • Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell (Susanna Clarke)
- • Night and Day (Virginia Woolf)
- • The Lover (onstage, in Mandarin)
- • Some of Washington Irving’s short stories:
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, The Spectre Bridegroom, Mountjoy, The Pride of the
- •Back issues of The Fourth Genre, Chinese Language Learning and Chinese Literature
- •Various Chinese poems (for class)
• The Master Builder (onstage)
The performance of this supposedly dense work turned out to be pretty weak
• The Rice Queen Spy (John F. Rooney)
Neither Hit nor Miss
- • 《甲申记》(onstage)
good acting, excellent choreography, but something just didn’t work (and I’m not sure I really got the story)
So, what have you been reading and watching this past month?